+ Home > News & Publications > Feature Stories
- 05.14.13 – Optimized BLENDER Code Speeds Up Kepler Planet Analyses
- Visualization experts in the NASA Advanced Supercomputing (NAS) Division have improved the BLENDER software package used by the Kepler mission team to validate planet candidates, greatly shortening runtimes on the Pleiades supercomputer.
- 04.28.13 – NASA's Kepler Seeks to Answer: Is Anybody Out There?
- The question "Is anybody out there?" grows more tantalizing with the discovery of each new far-off planet. CBS News' Barry Petersen has been talking to scientists searching for clues.
- 04.22.13 – NASA Celebrates Earth Day
- NASA is celebrating Earth Day 2013. Our satellites, scientists, and data help us all better understand and sustain our home planet. Explore some of our Earth-inspired features, images, and videos.
- 3.10.13 - Greenhouse Effect Shifts North's Growing Seasons
- Vegetation growth at Earth's northern latitudes increasingly resembles lusher latitudes to the south, according to a NASA-funded study of satellite and model data.
- 03.07.13 - NASA Supercomputer Helps 'Dig Out' Astronomical Treasures in Kepler Data
- Behind the scenes, NASA's most powerful supercomputer, Pleiades, crunches the Kepler mission data that enables scientists to quickly unearth transit signals and confirm the discovery of new planet candidates.
- 03.07.13 – Planet on Fire
- Combining observations from the MODIS instruments onboard NASA's Terra and Aqua satellites with the GEOS-5/GOCART atmosphere model reveals fire's global reach.
- 2.27.13 – Simulating the Transport of Aerosols with GEOS-5
- High-resolution GEOS-5 model simulations of tropospheric aerosols being transported around the globe have run at the NASA Center for Climate Simulation.
- 2.13.13 - Journey to the Limits of Spacetime
- Black hole simulations on XSEDE and NASA supercomputers present new view of jets and accretion disks.
- 1.30.13 - GEOS-5 Successfully Predicts Stratospheric Sudden Warming Event
- Near-real-time meteorological analyses and weather forecasts with NASA's GEOS-5 model successfully predicted the major stratospheric sudden warming event of January 2013.
- 01.25.13 – NASA's IRIS Spacecraft Scheduled to Launch in April
- NASA's Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph (IRIS) mission will use the Pleiades supercomputer to create and analyze 3D models of the sun based on data gathered by the orbiting observatory.
- 1.22.13 – Re-creating Earth's Oceans Inside a Supercomputer
- Using complex computer models and the Pleiades supercomputer, scientists are taking a closer look at Earth's oceans and sea-ice to understand more about how they work and why they are changing.
Visit Past Years' Feature Stories